Teaching for Sunday 21st June, 2009
Teacher: Bro. Felix Dordaa Mahama
Text: Sirach 22:19-27
Friendship = companionship
History of friendship
Friendship has existed since the beginning of creation: When God created man, he saw that it was not good for man to be alone, so he created woman – Genesis 2:8-23. God used to come down and interact with Adam and Eve in the Garden.
Destruction of friendship
But man broke this friendship through disobedience by eating the forbidden fruit. We also frequently break our friendship with people through disobedience. God has given us rules, laws and recommendations that we have to live in relation to others. If only we would obey these rules.
How to build and sustain friendships
Friendship is built on trust. Destruction of trust is the end of friendship. Of course, we need to exhibit love, humility, tolerance, forgiveness, understanding, patience, honesty and a whole lot of other traits for a friendship to work.
All the above will be addressed if we can take care of the following few areas:
- Sincerity /truthfulness
- no deception
- Be ready to give, not only to receive
- Support for one another
- Avoid unnecessary suspicion – see well before talking
- Remember that no one is perfect
- Study your friend, know his strengths and weaknesses, dos and don’ts, likes and dislikes
- Be ready to correct; not to condemn.
- Be ready to apologize
- Apology can usually remedy a friendship, but in most cases cannot restore it to its original state.